Saturday, June 23, 2007

Day 7 - Lebanon, NH - Build Day

Spent the day landscaping a house in Lebanon. Shovelled around 50 tons of dirt, laid top soil, spread grass seed, etc all while listening to sweet tunes played through my portable speakers, which were my 10th birthday present from my grandparents (these speakers have lived through over 150 days of canoe trips, rain, dirt, snow - pretty much eveything) - booya. We worked alongside the family who will be moving into the house, which was not only fun and interesting, but it also made our work seem more important as it put a face to the afforadable housing issue -i.e. a face consisting of a mother, father, a daughter and a son.

Picture = Billy helping the little girl ( of the family who will be living in the house) move dirt.


After building, I met up with Lauren Bennet (one of my closet friends at Dartmouth) - she is spending the summer at school working (and Lebanon is only 10 mins from the college). We hung out, ate a delicious dinner and then went to the Fairlee drive-in movie (which is a relic from the '50s, totally charming and a ton of fun) where we saw 'Next' and drank Hot Chocolate. It was delightful!

(Side Note: My camera broke yesterday (probably a result of one of my many falls trying to clip onto my bike while going up hill ( I have managed to conquer this problem by starting perpendicular to the fall line so I am not bothered by the slope of the hill...)). So, Lauren and I went to Best Buy where I purchased a camera marketed as a camera ' For Life'. Yes, it is crush proof up to 220 llbs, water proof up to 33ft (although my father cautioned me against taking advantage of this feature), and shock proof up to 5 ft ( just under my height). I figured this was the camera I needed to cater to my 'needs' (or, at least, to my 'luck')).

No comments: