Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 9 - Lebanon, NH to Rochester, VT

We crossed our first state line today - wahoo (see picture below)! Mileage = apprx 38 miles.

The day started off relatively relaxed and very fun. We biked past Dartmouth and continued along the route to Killington (ski mountain) that passes by Queeche gorge, which was cool b/c I drove that route regularly this winter so it was super neat to bike it instead. We stopped at the cabbage cheese store along the way and ate delicious samples (Vintage Choice was my favourite).
Below = picture of Adi with a moose outside the Cabbot Cheese store.



However, easy beginnings do not mean easy endings: My hope (dream) that the northern US was flat has completely disintegrated (although the hills have not - some dreams never do come true...). On the way to Rochester we had to bike over, well, a mountain. It was a 2900 ft vertical increase (the weather didn't help - it was around 90 F). And, although I write bike, I walked up 3/4s of it ( I wasn't the only one). After my first break ( no one made it up without stopping), I got back on my bike and ended up peddaling so slowly (for you bikers out there, I think my cadence was LESS than 30) that I didn't have enough momentum to make it up the hill and I fell over into the bushes - somewhat funny and a definite sign that walking the rest of the way was in my cards; however, I have road biking shoes, which are NOT at all meant for walking ( most of the other kids have mountain biking shoes that have treadding along the bottom) and consequently walking equals awkwardly waddling like a duck - it took me 45 minutes to make it up the hill. The day was still short though, which was nice.

After dinner, we all wanted to sleep outside (because inside the Church was unbearably hot) - in fact, some brave bikers decided to sleep in the graveyeard that borded the church (not my cup of tea - I figure I'll have a good chunk of my life to sleep w/ dead ppl...); however, the bugs were so bad (mosquitos in July always are), so that pretty much failed. Overall, all was swell...

No comments: